A Gmail account and all associated messages can be deleted, but you will still have access to your other Google, YouTube, and other associated accounts. Here’s how it’s done.
- How to Deactivate Your Gmail Account for Good
- What Happens to Gmail Emails That Are Deleted?
- What happens to the emails that were sent to the Gmail address that I had previously deleted?
How to Deactivate Your Gmail Account for Good
This article will show you how to delete a Gmail account as well as the Gmail address associated with it.
- Go to the Google Account Settings page by clicking here.
- Select Data and privacy from the drop-down menu.
- Then, on the following screen, scroll down to Download or delete your data and select the option to Delete a Google Service.
- You’ll be asked to sign in at this point.
- On the following page, select the service that you desire to deactivate or terminate. To remove a Gmail account, go to the Gmail tab and click the trashcan symbol () next to the account name.
- Choose a different email address than the one that is currently associated with the Gmail account that is being cancelled. To sign in to Google, enter your email address into the How will you sign in to Google dialog box.
- Select Send Email Verification from the drop-down menu.
- Opening the email from Google ([email protected]) with the subject “Security alert for your related Google account” or “Confirmation of Gmail Deletion” is a good first step.
- Select the message’s delete link from the drop-down menu.
- If necessary, log in to the Gmail account that you are about to delete in order to complete the process.
- The Confirm Gmail Deletion section should read: Yes, I want to permanently delete the email address [email protected] from my Google Account.
- From the drop-down box, select Delete Gmail.
- Press the “Done” button to complete the process.
What Happens to Gmail Emails That Are Deleted?
The emails will be deleted on a permanent basis. You will no longer be able to access them using Gmail.
It goes without saying that if you obtained a copy through Google Takeout or an email software, you can still use these communications.
What happens to the emails that were sent to the Gmail address that I had previously deleted?
If someone attempts to send email to your old Gmail account and fails, they will receive a delivery failure notification. You have the option of notifying your most important contacts of a new or alternate old mailing address.