This article describes how to configure an incoming filter in Outlook.com for Windows Live Hotmail. It also contains information on how to create a new rule from the inbox that automatically moves all email messages from a particular sender to a folder.
Configure Outlook.com’s Incoming Mail Filter for Windows Live Hotmail
In 2013, Microsoft rebranded Hotmail as Outlook.com. Individuals with Hotmail email addresses can continue to use Outlook.com to access their email.
Allow Outlook to automatically organize your incoming Windows Live Hotmail mail by moving it to a designated folder. Create a rule to automatically file incoming mail.
- Log in to Outlook.com using your Live or Hotmail email address.
- In the upper-right corner of the window, click the Settings gear icon and then click View All Outlook Settings at the bottom of the Settings pane.
- In the left pane, click Mail, followed by Rules.
- Click on Add New Rule.
- Give the new rule a name, such as the name of the folder where messages that meet the conditions should be filed.
- Select a condition, such as From or Includes in the Subject. Enter the condition’s details, such as the sender’s name or the word in the subject line that you want to filter messages based on. By selecting Add a condition, you can add additional conditions.
- Select Move to from the Add an action list and navigate to the folder where you want to store filtered messages.
- Check the box labeled “Stop processing additional rules.” Save your rule to create it and begin filtering email messages.
Automatically Filter Email from the Inbox
Alternatively, from the inbox, create a new rule that moves all email messages from a particular sender to a folder.
- Select Create rule from the context menu of a relevant email in your message list.
- Select the folder in which you want to save all messages from that sender.
- Select OK twice.